If you want to go to Shimla from Delhi then the route map guide from Delhi to Shimla distance is shared here. Delhi-Shimla is a very busy route because many passengers travel on a daily and weekly basis by bus, train, or by car.
Delhi to Shimla Distance
The distance from Delhi to Shimla is approximately 350 kilometers by road.
There are several modes of transportation available for traveling from Delhi to Shimla, including buses, taxis, and trains. The fastest way to travel from Delhi to Shimla is by car or taxi, as it offers the flexibility of stopping along the way and also saves time.
New Delhi to Shimla by Road
The most common route to travel from Delhi to Shimla is via NH44 and NH5. Here are the detailed directions to reach Shimla from Delhi by road:
- Start from New Delhi and head towards NH44.
- Continue on NH44 and take a left turn towards NH5.
- Follow NH5 and continue towards Karnal.
- From Karnal, continue on NH5 and pass by Kurukshetra and Ambala.
- Once you reach Zirakpur, take the Shimla Highway and follow the road towards Shimla.
- As you approach Shimla, take the Shimla Bypass Road and continue towards your destination.
The total distance from New Delhi to Shimla by road is approximately 350 kilometers, and it can take around 7-8 hours to reach Shimla, depending on the traffic and road conditions.
Delhi to Shimla Bus Ticket Price
You can also take a bus or hire a taxi from New Delhi to Shimla, which is a popular and convenient mode of transportation.
- The bus fare can range from INR 300 to INR 1000 depending on the type of bus and seat, while the taxi fare can vary from INR 3000 to INR 7000 depending on the type of car and service provider.
- The bus ticket price for a journey from Delhi to Shimla can vary depending on the type of bus and the service provider.
- Generally, the ticket prices range from INR 300 to INR 1500 per person. The ordinary buses are usually cheaper while the deluxe and AC buses are more expensive.
Private bus operators may also charge a higher fare compared to state-run bus services. It is recommended to book the bus tickets in advance to get the best deals and avoid last-minute hassles. You can check various online travel portals or the websites of state-run bus operators like HRTC and RSRTC to book your bus tickets.
New Delhi to Shimla by Train
- There are several trains that operate between New Delhi and Shimla, but none of them directly reach Shimla as there is no railway station in Shimla.
- The nearest railway station to Shimla is Kalka, which is around 96 km away. From Kalka, one can take a toy train or hire a taxi to reach Shimla.
The most popular train that runs from Delhi to Kalka is the Kalka Shatabdi Express. It departs from New Delhi Railway Station and reaches Kalka in around 4 hours.
Other trains that operate between Delhi and Kalka include the Himalayan Queen, Paschim Express, and the Kalka Mail. The travel time for these trains is around 5-6 hours.
New Delhi to Shimla Train Ticket Price
There are a number of trains that run between New Delhi and Shimla, with prices varying depending on the class of travel, time of year, and availability. As such, it is difficult to provide an exact train ticket price without knowing more information.
That being said, a general estimate of train ticket prices for the popular Kalka Mail (train number 12311) from New Delhi to Kalka (the closest station to Shimla) ranges from around INR 300 to INR 3,000, depending on the class of travel and availability. From Kalka, visitors can take the Kalka-Shimla Toy Train to reach Shimla.
New Delhi (DEL) to (IXC) Flights
There are no direct flights available from New Delhi to Shimla, as Shimla does not have its own airport. The nearest airport to Shimla is the Jubbarhatti Airport, which is located around 23 kilometers from the city center. However, this airport is small and only operates a limited number of flights.
As such, visitors looking to travel from New Delhi to Shimla by air will need to take a flight from New Delhi to Chandigarh, which is the nearest major airport. From Chandigarh, visitors can then take a taxi or bus to reach Shimla, which is around 120 kilometers away.
The flight from New Delhi to Chandigarh takes around 1 hour, and there are several airlines that operate flights between the two cities, including Air India, Vistara, and IndiGo. Prices for these flights can vary depending on the time of year and how far in advance the tickets are booked.